Friday 20 May 2011

Interview with Edward Finney...

   "With the realisation that 30 girls would be studying Fashion instead of 30 blokes in Graphics, I chose Fashion."

Hertfordshire born fashion 
designer Edward Finney.


When did you first become interested in fashion? 

I have always liked to dress well from a very young age. In the 90’s I remember having green, suede Fila high-tops which I thought were the bollocks (even still think so). Blue bolt jeans, loud coloured Ralph Lauren shirts, Tommy Hilfiger underwear etc. It was not the best era for fashion but I suppose from the age of 11-16 years old I began to take interest in fashion. 

Why did you want to become a fashion designer? 

It was not until I began my foundation studies at Hertfordshire University. I was 18/19 years old and wanted pursue Graphic Design as my chosen area, however I was receiving praise from the Fashion tutor and with the realisation that 30 girls would be studying Fashion instead of 30 blokes in Graphics I chose Fashion. 

If you weren’t a fashion designer, what would you be? 

A Graphic Designer 

You studied at Central Saint Martins, why do you think that so many great designers have come from this Uni? 

It has great links with the industry and has gained an international reputation of being one of the best Fashion Schools in the World and with this status a lucky few from St Martins are boosted into the industry backed by the BFC. 

How did it feel showing your clothes at London Fashion Week? 

I exhibited at Vauxhall Fashion Scout during London Fashion Week. I intend on showing next month as part of Brighton Fashion Week, headlining the Couture Shows. One day I hope to show at the official London Fashion Week, with correct investment and sponsorship I would create a show atmosphere reminiscent of early 90’s (something I think is lacking at LFW).  

What do you consider to be the greatest motivation behind your work? 

I feel I have been very lucky to have worked for such great designers and study at a great college having come from not the best backgrounds or have any private education I think it is my duty to use the knowledge I have gained and show those interested in fashion what I am capable of. 

What fabrics and colours do you most like to work with? 

Wool Suitings, silks, chiffon and quality cotton shirtings. I tend to change my colours each season depending on the theme, the colour palette is very important to me. I must admit I love a bit of charcoal grey. 

A/W10 Collection

Do you have a muse? 

I am fascinated with legendary women who have had some kind of tragedy. Quite depressing come to think about it. 

If you could choose anyone to model your clothes who would it be and why? 

Probably Kate Moss, she has the exact personality that relates to my collections and she is a very versatile model. 


What is your design process? Is it just a sudden idea? 

I tend to think a lot about certain characters and personalities, read biography’s or watch films of interest and then I choose my main character and it spirals from there

Is there anything you dislike about designing clothes? 

Although I am a precise design drawer, I prefer to design from the mannequin and not the paper. 

What is the most exciting thing to happen of your career so far? 

To be given a full-time Assistant Designer role at John Galliano a month before graduating from St Martins. 

Tell me more about the time you spent working with Alexander McQueen? 

I was there interning for a short time, however it was exciting times as McQueen had just been bought by Gucci Group and I was part of the 1st Season’s re-launch of the menswear. Working in a team of two. Myself and the Senior Menswear Designer, it was long hours but worth every minute and I managed to be involved more than must interns as we were in such a small team. A highlight was attending a fitting with Lee, he was a great man and designer. 

What was the main thing you learnt when working with John Galliano? 

Organising my time well and having everything prepared for the weekly meetings. I learnt everything, if you're given that type of opportunity you absorb as much as possible. 

Rankin & Lily Cole? Wow, tell me more… 

Two separate things. I had been contacted by my press agency in Paris that Rankin had requested half my collection for an upcoming book. Lily Cole wore an outfit of mine for VsMagazine and it was used in a Short Film. 

Who/what inspires you? 

Legendary women / being given a chance to prove my abilities. 

What were the inspirations behind your SS/11 collection? 

The S/S 2011 collection is inspired by exotic dancers, courtesans and spy Mata Hari and draws on influences from ancient Egypt and Paris in the late 1920'S. 




Stunning designs from his S/S11
collection.



Which designers do you admire? Why? 

Lee McQueen as he created some of the most beautiful collections I shall ever see. His colour palette, silhouette and cut were fantastic. I admire anyone who manages to make it from a difficult background. Quite a few successful young designers today have always had money but unfortunately these tend not to be the talented ones. It seems that money can make you a talent in the fashion industry, and it should not be like that. 

Who is your favourite musician? 

Always changes depending on my mood.

The Clash 
Daft Punk 
David Bowie 
Eminem 

What do you like to do in your spare time? 

Being busy most of the year and secluded in the country I like to spend time with my friends down in London. 

What is your ideal holiday? 

Lazy beach holiday. 

What is your favourite fashion magazine and website? Why? 

Vogue Italia Magazine because they always have great editorial photographs. BoF Website ‘Business of Fashion’ because it’s informative. 

Where would you most like your clothes to be sold? 

London, Paris, New York and Milan

Where do you like to shop yourself? 

Charity shops, however if I had the chance I would probably only wear fully Bespoke suits from Savile Row. 

Favourite piece of clothing that you own? 

Grey marl, fleece backed, jersey Nike joggers. 

What’s next for you? 

First Show on June 3rd for Brighton Fashion Week.

If you could be anyone for a day who would you be and why? 

Selfish really but probably Andreas Iniesta, Barcelona/Spanish international footballer. I enjoy football and I would like to know how it feels to score a goal at the World Cup Final and win the match for your country. 

Do you have any hidden talents? 

They would not be hidden if told you. 

What are your guilty pleasures? 

Stella Artois.

Do you have a catchphrase? 

‘I would rather poke my eyes out with a pair of spoons.’ 

If you were stranded on a desert island which 3 items would you take with you and why? 

A Charvet dressing gown, pair of  Church’s Slippers and a Cuban Cohiba Behike Cigar

Tell me about the ideas for your next collection.  

Rather keep that low-key for now. 




Love Sacha...

No comments:

Post a Comment